Wednesday, November 23, 2016

"Planet Waves"




Bob Dylan:  "Planet Waves"
Secondhand Vinyl Album
Purchased at Last Stop CD Shop in Sioux Falls, SD
Original Release Date:  1974
My Rating:  5 Stars



Side One
On A Night Like This
Going Going Gone
Tough Mama
Hazel
Something There Is About You
Forever Young

Side Two
Forever Young 
Dirge 
You Angel You
Never Say Goodbye
Wedding Song



   Once upon a time a young pretentious art major refused to listen to Bob Dylan simply because everyone told her she should. Perhaps the term, "everyone," is a bit of an exaggeration.  Okay, once upon a time a young stubborn art major refused to listen to Bob Dylan because her then boyfriend constantly insisted that she must.  Yep, that statement sounds a bit more accurate.  
   No matter how much time goes by I can't help thinking about, "he who shall remain unnamed," when I listen to Dylan records.  I clearly remember his persistent argument, "I didn't like Bob Dylan's voice at first either!  You have to concentrate on his lyrics and the stories he tells! Besides, you love Neil Young and listen to his singing!"  While my ex-boyfriend is long gone his words still resonate with me and well...it's freak'n annoying.  Of course, he was totally right.  Luckily, not long after the last gasp of that relationship, I lifted my Bob Dylan ban and since have become quite the fan.  I like to think of this occurrence as poetic justice...in more ways than one.  
   This all being stated, I don't recall most Dylan fanatics ranting specifically about the album, "Planet Waves," and lately I've been wondering, "Why not?"  This record is yet another magnificent collaboration between Bob Dylan and The Band.  I can truly think of no other ensemble to better compliment Dylan's storytelling than Robbie Robertson's group of talented musicians. My favorite moments on, "Planet Waves," include the intensely romantic ballads of, "Going Going Gone," "Dirge," and, "Wedding Song." Honestly, the sublime sounds of this album inspires my tears for multiple reasons, but none make me more sad than all the time I wasted not listening to, "Planet Waves," out of sheer spite.  
-r.
   

1 comment: